Brunton O.S.S. 50M -
FEATURES of the Brunton O.S.S. 50M Mirrored Compass.
SPECIFICATIONS of the Brunton O.S.S. 50M Mirrored Compass.
Lining and Layers:
- Meridian lines at map level aid orientation with a map and minimize distortion
- Meridian insert for tool-free declination adjustment—meridian lines stay down on map for greater ease and more precise headings
- Analog, liquid-filled compass uses the Brunton O.S.S. alignment system with its sighting mirror to provide reliable bearings when you align the circles
- Mirror folds onto compass face, which provides protection from the other items inside your pack
- Clinometer (or slope meter) lets you evaluate avalanche risk during backcountry travel
- Clinometer for measuring angles of elevation or inclination
- Interchangeable scale cards, extendable ruler
- Inch/mm scales
- Protective cover
- Lanyard keeps the compass close so you don't veer off course
- Tool-free adjustable declination lets you manually account for a difference between magnetic and true north, so you can get the most accurate readings
- Two-degree resolution allows precision and effective navigation
- Mid-hinged sighting mirror at center of base plate—users can sight objects faster and more accurately along the same direction-of-travel mark used for map navigation
Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)
Designed so users can sight objects faster, Brunton has moved the hinge for the sighting mirror to the center of the base plate in the O.S.S. 50M Mirrored Compass.
Country of Origin: USA
Backcountry.com (Spring 2014)
A vast wilderness area or expanse of open water can easily engulf you, but a map, some orienteering skill, and the Brunton 50M Mirrored Compass help you navigate your way out. Thanks to a dual-pivoting sighting mirror, which is mounted near the base plate's center, you're able to get a quick, accurate reading using the same mark you use to orient yourself with a topo map.