Fostex FM-3 3-Channel Input/2-Channel Output Portable Field Mixer -
The FM-3 Portable Mixer is a battery-powered 3 channel professional field mixer with an additional multi-pin auxiliary input and output and lots of other useful features. Designed for location work in video, film and remote recording situations, the FM-3 is packed with tools that will help you capture the highest quality audio in these demanding environments. Its organic LED display has adjustable brightness controls and informs you of the mixer's current settings, battery power and metering.
Most of the controls on the FM-3 have a dedicated hardware switch, knob, or button. The multi-pin auxiliary input can be sent to the stereo bus output, or used to cascade multiple mixers. In addition to the main XLR and multi-pin sub outputs, the FM-3 has two separate headphone outputs, a tape output and an auxiliary output. You can switch the audio being sent to the auxiliary output from channels 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 1 and 3 and stereo mix or mono mix.
The FM-3 operates on 8 AA batteries which slide in and out of the mixer in a magazine. You can also receive power from an external battery. The FM-3 features a handy DC output, so you can share its power with other equipment in your bag, such as a wireless receiver. Each channel has a variable high-pass filter knob, trim control, signal/peak LED, PFL button and pan switch. The master output level knobs, channel trims and filter knobs all can be set and pushed back into the mixer so they don't get accidentally adjusted.
Lining and Layers:
- 3 channel input (line or mic) and 2 channel main outputs are equipped with high quality signal transformers to resist external noise
- Light but robust aluminum body construction. The large solid aluminum fader knobs are exclusively machined for the FM-3
- High quality faders offer superb reliability in severe work conditions. The faders use high-quality conductive plastic and a strong metal shaft construction
- Highly visible Organic LED display with high resolution metering offering both VU and peak level, with the option of stereo or mono
- The output has an analog limiter using VCA (the threshold and ratio parameters are adjustable)
- Two headphone outputs are available with standard and mini jacks (you can choose a desired channel and PFL with the monitor selector knob)
- The display will also show various mixer setting parameters, such as mic/line and phantom power on/off selections
- Dedicated monitor return input to check the audio from VTR or camera feeds
- The FM-3 runs on 8 AA batteries(it will also run on DC12-24V external power)
- DC output is available via a HIROSE HR10A-4P connector, which is very useful for powering external devices such as a wireless receiver
- Pop up knobs are used for trim, high pass filter and the master to avoid unwanted changes
- Alkaline batteries will run for approximately 6 hours, the remaining battery capacity will be displayed on both the Organic LED display and an LED indicator
- AUX input can also be merged to the stereo bus in addition to the monitoring feature (cascade connection is possible)
- Main and sub outputs offer switchable level settings at +4/0/ -20/ -60
- Sub output, tape output and AUX output (you can choose which channel to assign)