Great but for one big flaw
I just received mine in the mail a couple days ago and as yet have not been able to test this in truly cold weather, nor can I attest to its ability to block wind. I can however speak to some important qualities of the jacket, including warmth.
1. The jacket is absurdly warm for its size and weight. I put it on and immediately began to feel the heat, particularly around my arms.
2. The fit is amazing. I realize the fit of a jacket varies greatly but on me the small fits like a dream. (I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs) It hugs my body just enough to almost give the feeling of a second skin. One note, the small fits great but for layering I'd want to try a medium.
3. The cuffs have their drawbacks (mainly that they can cause issues with wearing long-sleeve under-layers) but they are also shockingly good at helping retain heat. On my arms they fit just snugly enough that they form a good seal to keep air flow to a minimum. I can definitely feel the effect in increased warmth.
4. It looks good. Not too puffy so I'm able to avoid the Costanza puffy jacket problem.
1. This is a BIG negative for me and it almost caused me to give 3 stars instead of 4. I am not a fan of the new age low denier/ultra light fabrics on my "tough wear" outdoor gear. For my taste 30 denier is about as low as I want to go and I have a hard time seeing why anyone who wants to use a piece of gear in the wilderness would want thin fabric on something like a shell or a full jacket. Even on an insulated layer you're asking for trouble, in my opinion. The reinforced shoulders and outer arms on this jacket are great but the rest of the body will likely rip on the first trip I take it. It might even rip just wearing around town. Oh, and the back of the jacket hangs low enough that sitting down will most assuredly wear out the fabric in that area. These prospects do not please me. On a related note, the fantastic Generator Down Jacket offered by REI has a sturdier fabric. Why couldn't they put that fabric on this jacket?
I'm in the process of trying to decide whether or not to return my jacket. I don't want a piece of gear that's going to rip on its first trek into the mountains, yet I can't get over how fuggiding awesome this jacket is in warmth, look, and feel.
Best bang for the buck!
Bought this jacket today after trying on a few different styles from different vendors. I decided to go with this jacket (700 fill) vs. the hoodless less expensive REI alternative, which was 550 fill. I felt this one would suit my needs for cold weather. Took it for a spin this evening, which temperatures dipping hovering around 40F, with only a t-shirt below. I could not feel any cold air leaks from the sleeves or waistline. In fact, it retained my body heat very well!!!I gave this jacket 4 stars, only because the hood it comes with tore (or was torn without me realizing it when I purchased it). There are several hood buttons which help keep the face flaps folded and tucked away. It's a great idea, but the buttons are not reinforced with better material around them. It looks like the button tore away from the delicate lining. But not a big deal, REI stands behind their products and I'm sure I'll have no issues getting the hood replaced and/or jacket.Definitely a keeper of a jacket for general non-abusive use.
I love this jacket!
If you never wish to be cold again...buy this jacket. I've had this jacket for a little over a year and its definitely one of my favorite all time purchases. I bring this jacket with me whenever I may find the cold. I love that I can be in zero degree F wearing nothing but a t-shirt underneath and be toasty. Its extremely lightweight, comfortable, and warm. The windproof rating is an understatement, as you can have your arm hanging out of a car window going 60 on a cold night and feel absolutely nothing! I cant imagine any weather that can touch you if you wear a shell over the jacket. However, the jacket really is best for low/light activity levels. It is a little bulky, and as others have stated, it feels a little delicate. Also, most of the time it is too warm to do any heavy activities in. But it packs great, makes an excellent pillow, and is an absolute luxury to have at camp after a long day of cold weather hiking.
This is a nice warm down coat with great resistance to the wind. It is so warm, in fact, that I end up taking it off when doing activities (may come in handy if it is REALLY cold while skiing). It is a fair price and has many uses. I cannot comment on durability as I have only had it a few months, but it seems to be holding up so far. I love the wrist cuffs as they are soft and keep the wind/cold out. It has thicker fabric on the outsides of the sleeves and shoulders but I'd still recommend a shell if the snow is wet or if you'll be rubbing up against trees and such.
Picked this up for my winter mountaineering trips and instantly loved it! Comes with a stuff sack which fills out to a cylinder about 8" long by 5" in diameter, and you could probably compress it a bit more if you really needed to. Pull it out and the jacket pops right back to life. I love the insulated hood, it works great and keeps that wind off your neck. The inner cuffs are also nifty, they really seal out the breeze. I wear a small shirt, and the small jacket fits great, even over a light fleece and a couple of thin layers...might be a bit tight if you try to stretch it over more than that.
Amazing Jacket Lives up to it's own Hype
This is a great jacket. You can trust the wind-proof to 50mph+. I have tested it out the window of a car in 40 degree weather at 40-50mph. And I've also worn nothing but a T-shirt under it with weather in the teens and 20's. The hood is a bit unruly, but easily removed and can even be stowed in a pocket. The whole jacket packs very well, and makes for a decent down pillow in a pinch.
The only downfall, like many downs, is that it isn't rugged. The skin can be pretty easily pierced by sharp and jagged edges.
My new jacket feels great!
I chose the Antifreeze Down Jacket because of it's durable, lightweight down construction, great head and neck coverage, and reasonable price. What I wanted was a jacket that would keep me toasty even though I would stay outside in cool/cold weather for hours at a time. Once I decide to go indoors I simply take it off and I'm not left wearing a ridiculous amount of layers. All I really need to wear underneath are a couple of light layers. The hood and collar offer great protection from the elements. I feel cozy in this jacket!
Great for the price.
This jacket is very warm and ideal for casual use visiting nature preserves and parks around town during the winter. It is not designed for scaling Mt. Everest, nor is it designed for ultralight back country use - other products are better suited to these uses - but you will not find a better 800 fill down jacket for casual use at this price. Very comfortable design and fit, good quality, and very warm. I love this jacket!
i use it when it drops below 5 degrees and it is instant heat i don't have to wait for the jacket to warm up for more than a minute to be cozy if im throwing it on whilst being out "There" i have had troubles with getting a hole but duct tape fixes that. would suggest that if you wear this in 30 degrees and up you will be too hot!
Great Jacket for the money
This jacket is a terrific buy and much warmer than anything comparably priced. It is also extremely light, supple, and packable. Similar baffled down jacket offerings from North Face and Mountain Hardware cost at least $100 more. This jacket is NOT designed for heavy bushwacking and rough use. For that I put a tough gore-tex shell over it. It's a great base camp jacket and good for extremely cold days around town.